What is Reiki?
“Reiki” (Ray-key) is Japanese for ‘Universal life energy’, and is also a word to describe a system of natural healing. This tradition was founded by Dr Mikao Usui in the early 20th century and evolved as a result of his research, experience and dedication.
We live in a world of energy that nourishes and maintains all living things. When this energy flows uninterrupted there is balance and harmony within and around us, and we experience a sense of well being.
There are many variations of Reiki, but in essence Reiki treatments can help the body emotionally of spiritually. It is a tradition that is open to any belief system.
Reiki treatment is a process that anyone can enjoy in the normal course of their life. Reiki can be used along side other conventional or complementary treatment and often helps to provide emotional support during recovery.
The practice is taught by Reiki masters/teachers who have trained in the tradition passed on in person from master to student.
A Reiki Treatment
The method of receiving Reiki is simple. The recipient remains clothed and lies on a treatment couch or chair and relaxes. The practitioner gently places their hands in a series of non- intrusive positions on or near the body. There is no massage or manipulation. The whole person is treated rather than specific areas. Sessions can take 45 minutes to an hour-and-a-half, depending on the clients needs.
Reiki practitioners are not trained in diagnosis and will not predict any specific outcome from treatment. If people are concerned about their symptoms they should see a doctor.
What do reiki treatments feel like?
Each person experiences Reiki differently depending on their individual needs at the time.
Clients may or may not feel sensations during a Reiki treatment. benefits reported by recipients include deep relaxation promoting a calm, peaceful sense of wellbeing on all levels. Some people feel sensations of heavy, tingling, or experience seeing colours, whilst others can have an emotional response, indicating that shifts are taking place, allowing harmony and balance to be restored.
What do Reiki Treatments do?
Reiki is a safe and soothing treatment that can be:
- Comforting when life is tough – The relaxing nature of Reiki can be very helpful to people especially at difficult times in our lives. We can all feel overwhelmed or disconnected, sometimes there is a real sense of isolation, both emotionally and spiritually. Reiki treatments can bring feelings of peace, centredness and an ability to cope better with the challenges of life.
- Reiki can be beneficial in circumstances that are short term, but can also support people dealing with long standing conditions, helping bring comfort, acceptance and a more positive outlook.
- Supportive during pregnancy – Reiki can be wonderful for pregnancy. Treatments are very relaxing and enjoyable for mother.
- Calming for children – Children usually love reiki. The length of a session is often shorter than it would be for an adult.
- Reassuring for animals – Animals also respond well to reiki, they too seem to find it relaxing and soothing.
- Helpful at the end of life – In such cases Reiki can be a great comfort, helping to promote a sense of peace and acceptance for the dying and their families.
How much Reiki will I need?
A single session may be sufficient, but it is best to discuss this with your reiki practitioner. For instance, if you have long standing emotional or spiritual issues, a series of sessions may be beneficial. In general if you find that helpful changes are taking place, it is a good idea to continue treatment.
There are no known contra-indications for Reiki. It is a non-intrusive treatment that can be delivered in a variety of settings and requires no special equipment.
Joanna Taplin is an Usui Reiki Master Teacher who is also attuned to the system of Angelic Reiki Healing and works intuitively.
“Throughout my life from being a small child, I have felt a strong spiritual connection with the universe. A natural healer I discovered reiki and it’s beautiful healing energy. Reiki opened my heart and has changed my life.”
Joanna is registered and verified as a Reiki Practitioner by The UK Reiki Council, The Reiki Association, and with The Complementary Healthcare Council (CNHC). The CNHC is recognised by GP’s (referrals) and many health insurance companies.
Reiki Energy Healing
Treatment Time: 1 hr
£30 – 1 hr
Course can be arranged by request
Reiki Distance Healing
Send powerful healing energy to a loved one in need.
Contact me for details
Anyone can be attuned to Reiki and receive the benefits which this can bring.
Reiki Level One (1st Degree) focuses on self healing and includes initiation ceremony, instruction on the aura, chakras and hand positions. Lovely for self care & family care.
Reiki Level Two (2nd Degree) is practitioner level. It focuses on distance healing and developing intuition.